Happy To Sit On Your Face takes data privacy seriously and is committed to doing the very best it can to protect your customer information. Happy To Sit On Your Face is registered in New Zealand and is governed by New Zealand privacy laws. The Q&A below details how your customer information is protected, and is relevant to both stockists and customers.
What personal information do I share if I purchase sunglasses, and who is it being shared with?
In short – you are asked to provide only the personal information that is required to facilitate your purchase. Happy To Sit On Your Face website is hosted by Shopify. You are asked to provide your contact and shipping details. Unless you opt for a specific payment provider (Shop Pay, PayPal or Google Pay), you will be asked to provide payment information to complete the purchase in the check out process.
For New Zealand customers, Happy To Sit On Your Face uses a third-party shipping provider called Go Sweet Spot. Your name and address are imported from Shopify into the Go Sweet Spot platform in order to print the courier label to your parcel and assign a courier. The courier company will also process and use the information on the shipping label in order to deliver your parcel.
For international customers, Happy To Sit On Your Face will provide the minimum necessary information needed to ship your goods to the delivery service provider.
The contact information you provide to Happy To Sit On Your Face when you purchase sunglasses (email and phone number) may be used to contact you specifically about your purchase (for example, if there is a shipping delay or other issue).
I made a store account, what does this mean?
Making an account with Shopify is optional and Shopify will store your personal information and ‘remember it’ for your future purposes. Your data is held securely by Shopify. You can opt out any time and request Shopify to forget all of your information using this link. If you change your mind, you can always choose the ‘remember me’ option again to save your details.
I selected ‘remember me’ when I was inputting my payment details. What does this mean?
This stores your payment information (e.g. your credit card information) and other information to make it faster for you next time you make a purchase. This is called the ‘Shop Pay’ feature and it’s completely optional. Your data is held securely by Shopify.
If you choose 'remember me', you will be asked to enter your mobile phone details. In your future purchases, you will be sent a text message to confirm that you are making the purchase. This adds an extra layer of security to verify that it is really you who is making the purchase. You can opt-out any time and request Shopify to forget all of your information very easily using this link. If you change your mind, you can always choose the ‘remember me’ option again to save your details.
Is my personal information ‘sold’ or used for any other purposes?
The short answer is that your personal information is not being “sold” by Happy To Sit On Your Face or its third-party providers (Shopify and Go Sweet Spot).
Happy To Sit On Your Face only uses personal customer information to facilitate your purchase. Your information is not being analysed for marketing, on-sold or distributed to any other party. The only exception to this is transaction data (e.g. date of purchase, amount paid) which Happy To Sit On Your Face requires to fulfil its tax responsibilities. This transaction data is fully anonymised and any third parties (i.e. accountant companies) do not have access to your personal information.
The third-party policies are more complex. The short version is that your data is not being sold but is handled by third parties. Here are the details:
- The information that you provide about yourself when you make a purchase on the website (e.g. name, address, payment information) is acquired and used by Shopify on behalf of Happy To Sit On Your Face. Shopify does not control how and why your data is used – Happy To Sit On Your Face makes these decisions and holds legal control over your information. As explained above, Happy to Sit On Your Face only uses your data to facilitate your purchase and deliver your item(s). For more information, see this link. Shopify will never use your personal information to advertise to you, unless you are already a user of their apps or services (e.g. the 'Shop' app, see below).
- Shopify collects information about how you access Happy To Sit On Your Face website through cookies. These are commonplace on websites, and create a file with information that is stored on your computer via your web browser. This shares information such as your IP address, device and web browser to Shopify. For more information about Shopify cookies and how to control them, see this link. The reason why Shopify collects this data is to improve its services to merchants such as Happy To Sit On Your Face. For example, Shopify uses this data to provide information to Happy To Sit On Your Face (for example, data on how many people visit the website), and provide troubleshooting services and advice.
- Shopify uses "service providers" to assist them to provide their services to Happy To Sit On Your Face and other businesses. Otherwise, data may be shared with other parties only if legally required to do so by a court of law. Shopify does not and will not “sell” your data.
- It is not possible in today’s digital environment to achieve full certainty that your personal information will be kept 100% secure at all times. That said, Happy To Sit On Your Face has chosen Shopify to host its online store because it believes that Shopify has a serious commitment to protecting customer data. For more information about Shopify’s security, see this link.
- If you use Shopify’s apps (e.g. ‘Shop’) or ‘Shop Pay’ (the ‘remember me’ feature), there are further ways in which Shopify may use your data, but you can always opt-out if you wish to. For more information, see this link.
Go Sweet Spot
- Happy To Sit On Your Face imports personal customer information (such as your name, email, address phone, order number) so that Go Sweet Spot can facilitate the dispatching and delivery of your purchased goods. Go Sweet Spot does not use your information for any other purpose. For more information, see this link.
- Again, it is not possible for businesses operating in today’s environment to obtain 100% certainty that your information will be kept secure. Happy To Sit On Your Face is satisfied that Go Sweet Spot take data security seriously and are committed to taking all reasonable steps to keep your information secure, in line with industry best practice.
I visit Happy To Sit On Your Face via Facebook and Instagram. What does this mean for my data privacy?
If you have a Facebook or Instagram account, you have consented to their privacy policies. Please visit their website to view their privacy policies. Information for those who do not have accounts is also available in their privacy policies.
Are there any implications for my data privacy when browsing Happy To Sit On Your Face website?
Yes, as Happy To Sit On Your Face has a Facebook pixel. This is an invisible means by which Facebook collects data, without asking you to opt-in. Facebook pixels are commonplace on the internet. Facebook uses information primarily for its ad programme. It collects data that can ‘talk to’ your Facebook account. For example, Facebook would log that you made a purchase on Happy To Sit On Your Face website, and if Happy To Sit On Your Face commissioned Facebook to do advertising on Facebook, you are likely to be targeted for that ad because Facebook deems you to be an interested audience of Happy To Sit On Your Face. Through taking proactive action it is possible to block Facebook’s pixel tracking. Happy To Sit On Your Face is in the process of reviewing the pixel feature for removal, as Happy To Sit On Your Face wishes to embrace a privacy culture that reduces invisible tracking of giants such as Facebook in your everyday internet life. Watch this space!
I want to update my customer details or delete my customer information entirely. What do I do?
Email me at email@example.com and I can arrange this for you.
I have more questions or concerns. Who do I contact?
I’m always happy to hear from you. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.